Attractions of South America e-Book

Argentina Bolivia Brazil Chile Colombia Ecuador Peru Venezuela

Ecuador Visa Information

Most nationals, including citizens of the EU, and North American and Australasian countries, do not need a visa to enter Ecuador, only requiring a passport valid for more than six months, a return ticket and proof of having enough money for the duration of the stay. You'll be issued with a T-3 tourist card on arrival, which you should keep with your passport - it will be collected when you leave the country. The tourist card can allow up to ninety days' stay, though it's up to the official whether you're allocated thirty, sixty or ninety days on arrival.

You can get extensions for US$10 at the Jefatura Provincial de Migración in provincial capitals - it's often at the same address as the police headquarters - and in Quito at Isla Seymour 1152 and Río Coca (Mon-Fri 8am-noon & 3-5pm). You can't be granted an extension until the day on which your tourist card runs out; there's a small fine if you renew it after it's expired.

Extensions are given at the discretion of the relevant official in batches of thirty days, up to a maximum of 180 days per twelve months. It's unusual that you'll be refused an extension, but politeness and smart dress certainly won't harm your cause. In some cases you'll be asked to prove you have enough money to stay in the country for the length of your extension.

You should carry your passport, or at least copies of the important pages, with you at all times - if you can't produce adequate identification on demand you may be fined or even be detained. In some sensitive areas, particularly the Oriente, only the original document will suffice.


If you want to work in Ecuador, or simply to guarantee a stay of over ninety days, you'll need a visa. There are a range of visas available, all of which last from six to twelve months, covering study (12-V), work (12-VI), volunteering (12-VII), cultural exchanges (12-VIII) and long-stay business or tourism (12-IX). Each has its own application procedure - you should contact your consulate before travel for advice well in advance. The prices of visas were raised significantly following dollarization. It costs $30 for a visa application form, $100 for a student visa, $200 for a work visa, $150 for volunteers, $50 for cultural exchanges, and $200 for long-stay business or tourism.

Once in Ecuador, you have to report to the Dirección de Extranjería at Carrión and Páez in Quito (tel 02/549080; Mon-Fri 8am-12.30pm) within thirty days of arrival in order to get a censo (identity card). You should bring your passport, certificado de visación (given to you at the consulate), and copies of your entry stamp, a large envelope (manila) and a folder (carpeta), available from the small hut outside the building. Write your name, address in Quito and passport number on the envelope containing your passport; it'll be stamped and ready for you to collect the next day.

After this, go to the Dirección Nacional de Migración at Avenida Amazonas 2639 and Avenida República (tel 02/454122; Mon-Fri 8am-noon & 3-6pm) opposite El Jardín shopping center, armed with your passport, three passport photos, photocopies of your passport (both available in the shop next door), entry stamp and Extranjería stamp, and a letter from your hotel owner or landlord confirming your address, plus a copy of their identity card (cédula). You'll be given a form to sign, asked to stick your photos on various bits of paper, and pay a small fee, after which you'll be presented with your Certificado de Empadronamiento (the censo), which you can have laminated at a stall outside.

The officials often neglect to tell you this, but you'll also need permission to leave the country (permiso de salida), which you can buy here for a small fee. You can use it for multiple exits during the course of one year.

Ecuadorian embassies around the world

Australia 1st Floor, The Law Society Building, 11 London Circuit, Canberra, ACT 2601
(tel 02/6262 5282, fax 6262 5285).

Canada 50 O'Connor St, Office 316, Ottawa, ON K1P 6L2
(tel 613/563-8206, fax 235-5776).

Ireland 27 Library Rd, Dun Laoghaire, Dublin
(tel 01/280 5917).

New Zealand Ferry Building, 2nd Foor, Quay St, Auckland
(tel 09/377 4321).

UK Flat 3b, 3 Hans Crescent, London SW1X 0LS
(tel 020/7584 1367, fax 7823 9701).

US 2535 15th St NW, Washington, DC 20009
(tel 202/234-7200 or 234-7166, fax 667-3482).

Source: TravelNow Destination Guides

© Copyright Rough Guides Ltd as trustee for its authors. Published by Rough Guides. All rights reserved.
The Rough Guides name is a trademark of Rough Guides Ltd.