Attractions of South America e-Book

Argentina Bolivia Brazil Chile Colombia Ecuador Peru Venezuela

Argentina Visa Information

Citizens of the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Britain, Ireland and other Western European nations do not need a visa for tourist trips of up to ninety days - which can be extended by a further sixty days - at the time of going to press, but always verify this in advance with your local consulate, as the situation can change.

You will need a valid passport and will have to fill in a landing card on arrival and you will be given a stamp for stays of thirty, sixty or ninety days. Staple your duplicate of the landing card into your passport, next to your entrance stamp, as you'll need it to leave the country and police may check it. If you do lose it, it's rarely a serious problem, but you'll have to fill in a new form at the border control. On entering the country, you will also be given a customs declaration form. Duty is not charged on used personal effects, books, and other articles for non-commercial purposes, up to the value of $300. Make sure you declare any valuable electronic items such as laptop computers, as customs officers can be suspicious that you may be bringing them into the country to sell.

You can extend your stay for a further sixty days by presenting your passport to the main immigration department:

Dirección de Migraciones
Av. Antártida Argentina 1350
Retiro, Buenos Aires
(tel 011/4312 3288 or 4311 4118).

Alternatively, you could try leaving the country (best to do so for at least 24 hours, perhaps by making the short hop to Colonia del Sacramento) and returning to get a fresh stamp. This usually works, but is frowned upon if done repeatedly, and the provision of an extra stamp is totally at the discretion of the border guards. Some people manage to stay for a year on tourist visas alone, by using a combination of these brief trips abroad and extensions (prórrogas).

When leaving the country, you must obtain an exit stamp. At certain controls (particularly in the north of the country, where there is a lot of cross-border Mercosur traffic), it is often up to you to ensure that the bus driver stops and waits while you get this - otherwise drivers may not stop, assuming that all passengers are Mercosur nationals, who don't need stamps. Not getting your proper stamps will leave you facing fines and considerable hassle later on in your trip. Be aware that in some places (for example, Clorinda), your Argentine exit stamp is actually given on the far side of the border, but check this with the driver.

Visas for work or study (both valid for a maximum of twelve months) must be obtained in advance from your consulate. Students will first need to obtain a letter from their proposed place of study, which offers a place on a course and has been legalized by the Argentine Ministry of Education. This must be presented to your respective consulate, along with medical and birth certificates and three photos. The visa costs approximately $100, plus around $50 for additional paperwork fees (processed in approximately a week). For a working visa, you can either get your prospective company to approach immigration in Argentina with the contract and arrange for an entrance permit to be sent to your respective consulate, or take your work contract, authorized by an Argentinean public notary, to the consulate yourself and the consulate will obtain the work permit from Buenos Aires. Expect the process to take at least a month. Work permits cost $200, and the visa itself another $100. Both student and working visas can be extended only in the Dirección de Migraciones.

Visitors are legally obliged to carry their passports as ID. You might get away with carrying a photocopy, but don't forget to copy your entrance stamp and landing card as well. In the majority of cases, this is acceptable to police, but getting a copy certified by a public notary increases its credibility.


Embassies and consulates:

USA Consulates:
229 Peachtree St, Kain Tower, Suite 1401, Atlanta, Georgia 30303
(tel 404/880-0805, fax 404/880-0806; atlar[at]

205 N. Michigan Ave, Suite 4209, Chicago, IL 60601-5968
(tel 312/819-2608, fax 312/819-2626; argecchic[at]

3050 Post Oak Blvd, Suite 1625, Houston, TX 77056
(tel 713/871-8935, fax 713/871-0639; jel[at]

5055 Wilshire Blvd.Office. 210, Los Angeles, CA 90036
(tel 323/954-9155, fax 323/934-9076)

800 Brickell Ave, Penthouse 1, Miami, FL 33131
(tel 305/373-1889, fax 305/371-7108; cmiam[at]

12 West 56th St, New York City, NY 10019
(tel 212/603-0400, fax 212/541-7746; argnyc[at]

USA Embassy:
1600 New Hampshire Ave, NW, Consular Section, Washington DC 20009
(tel 202/238-6400, fax 202/238-6471).

CANADA Consulates:
90 Sparks St, Suite 910, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5B4
(tel 613/236-2351, fax 613/235-2659;

2000 Peel St. 7th Floor, Suite 710, Montréal, Québec H3A 2W5
(tel 514/842-6582, fax 514/842-5797)

1 First Canadian Place, Suite 5840, Toronto, Ontario M5X 1K2
(tel 416/955-9075, fax 416/955-0868; fctoro[at]

UK Embassy:
65 Brook St, London W1Y 1YE
(tel 020/7318 1300, fax 7318 1301).

UK Consulate:
27 Three Kings Yard, London W1Y 1FL
(tel 020/7318 1340, fax 7318 1349).

AUSTRALIA Consulate:
Goldfields House, Level 13, Suite 1302, 1 Alfred St, Sydney, NSW 2001
(tel 02/9251 3402).

Level 14, 142 Lambton Quay, PO Box 5430, Wellington
(tel 4/4728 330; enzel[at]

© Copyright Rough Guides Ltd as trustee for its authors. Published by Rough Guides. All rights reserved.
The Rough Guides name is a trademark of Rough Guides Ltd.